Sentinel Battery Monitoring
Despite every effort to ensure the security of a data centre electrical supply, power outages from the grid are still regular occurrences. When power failures occur critical equipment will normally be supported by a UPS system and an associated a bank of lead acid batteries.
It might be assumed that for this reason that batteries are meticulously maintained but this is rarely so. Most modern batteries are Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) systems which are generally not maintained beyond an annual UPS service visit where battery inspections do take place.
Unknown and undetected battery failure will only become apparent during loss of utility power. This failure will result in a complete catastrophic and sudden loss of power to critical services.
UPS systems of all sizes have rudimentary battery monitoring circuits which monitor at the "end" terminal of the battery. These systems do not monitor individual cells or monoblocs which means they can only detect major existing faults. To ensure the complete integrity of the battery systems at all times it is necessary to detect failing blocks before they can affect the overall system performance.
To achieve the goal of permanent online battery monitoring Workspace Technology recommends the deployment of Sentinel Battery Monitoring technology.
Sentinel Battery Monitoring solutions help clients to :-
- Reduce risk of catastrophic critical load failure through permanent online battery monitoring
- Early detection of weaknesses in a battery system through voltage and impedance testing
- 24/7 Automatic notification of faults through a combination of browser, SMS messaging, modem link and BMS interfacing
- Reduce maintenance costs and extend run battery time
- Automatic capture and detailed event log of all information effecting the battery string
- Ease of Installation and expandability