To complement our data centre planned preventative maintenance services Workspace Technology recommends an annual Power Usage Effectiveness ‘PUE’ Survey where there is no fixed metering or measurement technology in place.
Metering the total energy used at a site is important, but it does not show how energy consumption is being used across an area or for a specific function e.g. a data centre facility. Without measurement, it can be hard to understand why and where energy performance is poor and how to improve it.
As detailed within the basic audit if we can take relevant readings from existing meters we will be able to provide a “snapshot” PUE rating for the room. If these readings are not available then it will only be possible to undertake a rating of the room through the deployment of the PUE Assessment service.
Depending on the specific site requirements a ‘snapshot’ survey can be done however for a more accurate assessment we will require recording equipment to be left in place for a week or more.
The PUE Assessment enables I.T and data centre managers to accurately benchmark the Power Usage Effectiveness** (PUE), Data Centre Infrastructure Efficiency** (DCiE) and usage of the server room environment through direct analysis of power and energy consumption.
** Data Centre Infrastructure Efficiency / Power Usage Effectiveness are industry recognised standards for data centre room efficiency measurement introduced by the Green Grid.
PUE Assessment Deployment Benefits
- Assists in reducing energy consumption, minimising environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use
- Confirmation of Data Centre DCiE / PUE efficiency ratings
- Accurate proof of the effectiveness of any “claimed” energy efficiency deployments throughout the life of the facility
- Measurement of energy consumption, critical load trends, power quality and response time of emergency power plant
- Opportunities to improve a server room or data centres operational efficiency
- Shows how a server room or data centre compares to other internal or competitive facilities.
Find out more by contacting us today.