Freecool® Deployment Benefits
Freecool® technology makes the use of outside air to cool data centre or commercial environments. However unlike simple air economizers which require supplemental DX or Chilled water cooling when external ambient temperatures exceed 21ºC Workspace Technology’s Freecool® system engages the evaporative cooling mechanism which reduces actual external air temperature by simply passing the airflow through wet filter pads.
Freecool® deployment benefits include:-
- Reduced CO2 emissions
- Significantly reduced energy consumption and operating costs
- Supports existing cooling technologies
- Improved Data Centre PUE* Efficiency Ratings
- Improved company “Green Credentials”
- Improved resilience with practical support by UPS systems.
- Flexible airflow configuration plan options
* Power Usage Effectiveness is the industry recognized standard for data centre room efficiency measurement developed by the Green Grid.
Excellent Commercial Return
The golden rule of energy efficiency technology deployment is to ensure that the savings are greater than the costs.
Due to the exceptional energy savings that Freecool® technology will make the return on investment is typically 18 to 36 months*. Over the predicted minimum 15 year life of the system it is projected that Freecool® technology will payback multiples of the initial investment.
* Payback periods will depend on the complexity of the installation and the cooling load.
Freecool® Practical Installation
- Freecool® evaporate free air coolers are externally fixed.
- N+1 systems provide system redundancy levels.
- Existing CRAC systems can be retained.
- Air is supplied to the underside of the raised floor.
- Standby generators only have to support 10% of the electricity consumption of the CRAC systems.
- Freecool® systems can be maintained with UPS support only.
- UPS rooms are cooled with simple ventilation systems utilising evaporative cooling.
- Freecool® units are linked to all fire systems for controlled shut-downs.
- Typical room mounted Freecool® unit.